Thursday, May 26, 2011

Will You Marry Me?

If you read about my great grandfather, Noach Swenson in a previous blog (The Man on the White Horse) here’s another story about him. About how he met and married his wife, Emma.

Noach immigrated to Minnesota from Sweden in 1869 at age 19. His sister and her husband were already living near Jordan, Minnesota. Noach worked in the area until he was 21, until he could homestead. A few years later, a group of these immigrants were together socially… and another Swenson (no relation), Muns Swenson and Eva, were at the gathering with a baby in a cradle. People teased Noach about not being married. He said, “I’ll marry that one”, meaning the baby in the cradle.

And he did. He married the baby, Emma, when she was 16, and he was 38. The community used to have barn dances. Emma loved to dance and Noach was attracted to the vivacious girl. But what did she see in him? There’s no record of the whys behind it. Logically he married because he was attracted to her, maybe even loved her, and needed a wife to help him with his homestead. But Emma? A vivacious 16-year-old? Did she want to get away from home that badly? Did she love him? Did her parents approve and encourage her? Or were they against it? Whatever the motivation and emotions, the two were married in 1888, had six children, and were together until their deaths in the 1930’s.


C.M. & Sarah and children
My grandmother, Ruth, is the youngest on the left
On the other side of my family was C.M. Holmquist. He came over from Sweden about the same time as Noach (1869-ish). He was married to Sarah Christina Jonnsen in 1880 and they had nine children. My grandmother, Ruth, was the youngest, born in 1900. She was born eleven months after her brother Arthur died of polio, at age four. Birth and death must have been ever-present… There were nineteen years between child #1 and child #9. Sarah had to be exhausted. She always looked frail…
Sara Christine died in 1922 at age 67. Her daughter, Alma died a few months later of a sudden heart attack—at age 25.
Heartbroken, C.M. took a trip back to Sweden. On the trip he met Elvira Mattson. When he came home he presented her to his family. Surprise! Welcome my new wife! A ship-board romance? C.M. was seventy.

Logic might suggest that people were more pragmatic back then, that they knew life could be cut short at any time and so didn’t waste time. Also, especially in rural communities, there were fewer prospects to choose from. Communication and transportation was limited beyond your community. The people you saw every day was who you got. Plus, there was the language and culture barrier. To find someone from the same background and roots probably took precedent over finding your true love or waiting for Mr. or Miss Right. 

I’m sure many families have such odd pairings, either by age or circumstance. I’d love to hear some of your stories . . . //Nancy

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I've been thinking a lot lately about my grandparents (deceased) and great grandparents. I think I'm going to ask my parents and their siblings to write down what they remember. If they don't, the stories of these lives will mostly be lost forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely ask them questions! The time spent with my parents recently brought out lots of stories about how they spent Christmases, places they lived, how they met and fell in love... Priceless stories that made me feel even more rooted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, Nancy. Maybe we're related. My great-grandfather and -grandmother immigrated from Sweden in 1868. Only they settled, after a few years in Chicago, in Iowa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool, Robin. Do you know what part of Sweden your family came from?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandfather was born in 1880, my grandmother in 1902. He homesteaded in the sandhills of Cherry County, NE in 1907. Grandma came to the sandhills from Missouri in 1919 to keep house for her half-brothers, also homesteaders in the area and friends of my grandfather. They married in 1920. He was 40. She was 18. On her wedding day, she came back to the ranch to prepare a meal for 7 hired men. They had 8 children from 1921 to 1935; 1 boy and 7 girls,the youngest of whom is my mother. He died in 1963 and she in 1981. Lots of interesting stories there, but that's enough for now.
    Jan in Nebraska

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jan ... that's fascinating and you've given an example of how real life is much more interesting than anything I could make up. I wouldn't be "allowed" in my historical fiction to have an 18 year old marry a 40 year old. "Not believable." And yet, my grandmother was 22 when she married my grandfather, who was 42. As you probably know, I adore Nebraska stories/history. Thanks for sharing this!
    Steph Whitson

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is interesting . . . I guess a 20+ year age difference wasn't that unusual. But can anyone pinpoint why? Surely there were young men around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The "why" of agreeing to marry a man so much older ... some ideas ... you know how he's going to "turn out." He might be more financially secure than a young man just starting out. Post Civil War era I think there was a dearth of men --- certainly a dearth of men who weren't missing a limb or otherwise handicapped. I have wondered why my grandmother said "yes," because according to what I know it was not a wise move for her. Of course young women desperate to get away from home for whatever reason had few options. And at least they would have their own home and perhaps get away from domineering parents? OK. Out of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know the whys in all situations, but my grandpa was a well respected cattleman with a quiet strength and the bluest eyes my mother has ever seen. Maybe he just swept Grandma off her feet. Or maybe she just needed the security he offered. Uncle Jake brought her to Nebraska from Missouri to get her out of a situation where she worked as a maid and nanny and wasn't treated very well. He was a friend of Grandpa's so maybe he thought it would be a good match. Women were pretty scarce in the sandhills.
    Jan in Nebraska

    ReplyDelete